After my analysis I concluded that my cost to fly was going to be approximately $368/person. For my 4-person family, that comes to $1472. That cost doesn't include any addl taxes/fees we'll undoubtedly end up seeing. We'll also have to rent a car. Let's call that an addl. $40/day though I think it would end up exceeding that by a lot. So the transportation costs are now up to $1592, so I'm calling it $1600.
Now let's figure travel time:
- Home to airport -- 30 minutes
- Arrive 90 minutes early -- 90 minutes
- On plane, In-air -- 120 minutes
- Wait for luggage -- 30 minutes
- Drive from ATL airport to resort -- 136 minutes
- Rent car -- 30 minutes
And that doesn't account for any time driving in circles as I try to exit Hartfield Airport, or trying to find the resort.
So, $1600, 7:16 travel time.
- Gasoline to drive the MPV 782 miles, 22mpg = 35.54gallons at $2.65/gallon = $94.20.
- Travel time = 12:55
!!! ROADTRIP !!!
(EDIT - was comparing air travel expenses round-trip to car-travel expenses one-way. The proper comparison would be approx. $1600 vs. approx. $200. My conclusion doesn't change a bit.)